Matthew 27 refers to seven sprinklings of blood upon the Ark of Covenant
Now it means the suffering experienced by Jesus up to His death on the cross to save, purify, and perfect us.
In Matthew 27, there are seven passages that refer to seven sprinklings of blood experienced by Jesus up to His death on the cross as follows:
ad. 3. The soldiers mock Jesus
- Matthew 27:1-10, Jesus handed over to Pontius Pilate and Judas’ death.
- Matthew 27:11-26, Jesus faces Pilate.
- Matthew 27:27-32, the soldiers mock Jesus.
- Matthew 27:33-50, Jesus’ crucifixion.
- Matthew 27:51-56, miracles happen at the time of Jesus’ death.
- Matthew 27:57-61, Jesus buried in Joseph’s tomb.
- Matthew 27:62-66, Pilate sets a guard.
27:27 Then the soldiers of the governor took Jesus into the Praetorium and gathered the whole garrison around Him.
27:28 And they stripped Him and put a scarlet robe on Him.
27:29 When they had twisted a crown of thorns, they put iton His head, and a reed in His right hand. And they bowed the knee before Him and mocked Him, saying, “Hail, King of the Jews!”
27:30 Then they spat on Him, and took the reed and struck Him on the head.
27:31 And when they had mocked Him, they took the robe off Him, put His ownclothes on Him, and led Him away to be crucified.
There are three types of mockery Jesus experiences as follows:
- The soldiers put a scarlet robe on Him. It means mocking the authority of Jesus as King.
The authority of King is defeating sins. If we still preserve sins, it means we mock Jesus.
- The soldiers put a crown of thorns on His head.
Actually the crown of Jesus as King of kings is rainbow, the crown of glory.
Putting a crown of thorns on Jesus’ head means mocking the glory of Jesus as King.
The practice is doing or saying something that makes God, parents, and pastor grieved.
- The soldiers put a reed in His right hand, take it, and strike it on His head.
The reed refers to the power of a king.
Thus, the soldiers mock the power of Jesus as King.
1:6 Therefore, when they had come together, they asked Him, saying, “Lord, will You at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?”
1:7 And He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons which the Father has put in His own authority.
1:8 But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”
The power of Jesus as King is the power of Holy Spirit. John 16:7
16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth. It is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I depart, I will send Him to you.
Jesus goes away means Jesus dies, rises, and goes up to the Heaven to pour the power of Holy Spirit.
Mocking the power of Jesus as King means mocking or rejecting the power of Holy Spirit
14:16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever—
14:17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.
14:18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.
The consequence of living without the Holy Spirit is living as orphans. He is filled by flesh weaknesses.
No matter how great a God’s servant is, when he rejects the power of Holy Spirit, he is just as dust/ clay. There are three kinds of majo
rflesh weakness as follows:
- Flesh weakness to face strange voice/ deceitful teaching/ gossips, that is not expressly rejecting strange voice.
1 Timothy 4:1
4:1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons,
The consequences are as follows:
If we are being anointed and fulfilled by Holy Spirit, we will have firmness to:
- Starting to doubt the true teaching Word,
- Falling, departing from the faith.
- Being deceived until losing the right direction to the Heaven.
- Reject strange voice/ another teaching/ gossips. It means not giving any chance to hear another teaching, not wishing to know at all.
- Hold on the true teaching Word and obey it whatever the risk.
The results are as follows:
- We are sanctified from sins up to the peak of sins, that is eating-drinking sins and marrying and being given in marriage sins.
1 Peter 1:22
1:22 Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart,
If we live in purification, we will be able to love one another fervently with a pure heart. It means living in concord that will lead us to the unity of perfect body of Christ. Life who is anointed by Holy Spirit will have firmness to be used in the ministry of building the body of Christ.
Firmness = purification = concord.
The house of the Lord on the day of Solomon was built on Mount Moriah, on the place where Isaac was sacrificed. Whatever we sacrifice for the building of the body of Christ is not in vain, since we are faced with Jehovah Jireh who will provide everything.
- We receive Heavenly wisdom that will make us successful in the middle of crisis.
10:10 If the ax is dull,
And one does not sharpen the edge, Then he must use more strength;But wisdom brings success.
All struggle we do in this world will be in vain if there is no wisdom from God. But when there is God’s wisdom, nothing is impossible.
- Flesh weakness to face problems/ sufferings, that make us grumble, blame the others, doubt the true teaching Word, disappointed, even leave God.
5:1 Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,
5:2 through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
5:3 And not only that,but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance;
5:4 and perseverance, character; and character, hope.
5:5 Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.
5:9 Do not grumble against one another, brethren, lest you be condemned. Behold, the Judge is standing at the door!
When we grumble and condemn against one another, actually we stand in front of the righteous Judge who will judge.
5:10My brethren, take the prophets, who spoke in the name of the Lord, as an example of suffering and patience.
5:11 Indeed we count them blessed who endure. You have heard of the perseverance of Job and seen the end intended bythe Lord—that the Lord is very compassionate and merciful.
If we are anointed and fulfilled by Holy Spirit, we will persevere and become patient in facing temptations as Job.
The perseverance refers to perseverance in three main services or perseverance within shepherding, that is:
- Golden Candlestick= perseverance in General Service = drinking.
- Table of Showbread= perseverance in Bible Study Service with Holy Communion = eating.
- Golden Altar of Incense= perseverance in Prayer Service = breathing.
Within shepherding, we will grow to spiritual maturity.
Being patient means as follows:
- Being patient in bearing sufferings with God, so we can always give thanks.
- Being patient in waiting God’s time. Do not insist God, but let us surrender everything to God.
If we are persevering and patient, we are face to face with Jesus as the High Priest who is very compassionate and merciful [James 5:11]. It means we stretch out both our hands to the High Priest and He will immediately stretch out His merciful hands to:
- Give us Heavenly joy.
- Help us in His time doubly, that is physical and spiritual help.
Job receives back everything doubly.
- Flesh weakness in facing sins, starting from sin viruses up to worms of sin that gnaw continually up to the hell.
8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
8:27 Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is,because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will ofGod.
8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to Hispurpose.
The consequence is living in sins, even enjoying sins. This kind of life will dry spiritually and cannot worship God.
If our life is anointed and fulfilled by Holy Spirit, He is able to put to death the sins so we can live in righteousness, be the instruments of righteousness, and true worshippers.
Holy Spirit helps us to become true worshipper. We groan to God as a mother who will give birth.
11:5 As you do not know what isthe way of the wind,
Orhow the bones growin the womb of her who is with child,
So you do not know the works of God who makes everything.
Groaning means full submission to God until miracle happens.
- [Romans 8:28] Physical miracle that God is able to make everything good in His time.
- Spiritual miracle, that is renewal from flesh man to become spiritual man.
3:16 that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man,
New man is being strong and of good courage.
12:11 not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord;
2 Kings 2:11
2:11 Then it happened, as they continued on and talked, that suddenly a chariot of fire appearedwith horses of fire, and separated the two of them; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.
New man is also being faithful and fervent in spirit in true teaching Word and ministry. The result is Elijah goes up to the Heaven. If we are being faithful and fervent in spirit in true teaching Word and ministry, we will also be lifted up to the Heaven.
15:19 For the horses of Pharaoh went with his chariots and his horsemen into the sea, and the Lord brought back the waters of the sea upon them. But the children of Israel went on dry landin the midst of the sea.
No matter how great we are, without fire actually we only go with Pharaoh’s chariot that will sink.
But although we are ordinary men, if we want to receive the fire of Holy Spirit, we will be lifted up to the Heaven.
God blesses us.