Peace and grace in the love of our Lord Jesus Christ. Revelation 3:7-13 is about the church in Philadelphia
3:7 "And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write, ‘These things says He who is holy, He who is true, "He who has the key of David, He who opens and no one shuts, and shuts and no one opens": 3:8 "I know your works. See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name. 3:9 "Indeed I will make those of the synagogue of Satan, who say they are Jews and are not, but lie––indeed I will make them come and worship before your feet, and to know that I have loved you. 3:10 "Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth.
Jesus appears as One who holds the key of David for the church in Philadelphia. We can get the key of David in shepherding. The key of David is obedience and faithfulness, also the mercy and grace of God
There are three big things that God does for the church in Philadelphia with the key of David as follows:
- [Revelation 3:8] To open the doors that cannot be shut by anyone.
- [Revelation 3:9] To give victory over the congregation of Satan.
- [Revelation 3:10] To protect us from the day of temptation that will come for the entire world.
We are learning the first point, namely to open the doors that cannot be shut by anyone
. Acts 16:24
16:24 Having received such a charge, he put them into the inner prison and fastened their feet in the stocks.
Paul and Silas are put into the inner prison and their feet are fastened in the stocks. It means as follows:
- Facing the world with its influence, which is difficulties, limitation, misery, suffering, and impossibilities that make us disappointed, despair, and leave God.
- ‘Fastened their feet in the stocks’means we cannot testify to declare the Good News and Bride Tidings. The result is our life becomes not beautiful.
10:15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, Who bring glad tidings of good things!"
- The feet are fastened by the sin of evil (the will of money) and uncleanness. The feet are the dirtiest parts of the body. The dirtiest life journey is like Judas Iscariot. The result is decay and perdition forever.
13:10 Jesus said to him, "He who is bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you."
13:11 For He knew who would betray Him; therefore He said, "You are not all clean."
16:25 But at midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them. 16:26 Suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken; and immediately all the doors were opened and everyone’s chains were loosed.
The attitude of Paul and Silas or us facing the shut door and fastened feet is praying to and worshiping God. It means believing and entrusting our life fully to God. We surrender, cry out, and stretch out our hands to Him
If we stretch out our hands to God, He will stretch out His hands that hold the key of David towards us. It is the hand of mercy and grace that is stretched out, so two great things happen as follows:
- Great earthquake, the physical and spiritual shake, it is like the problem that we have is increasing and we face the dead end.
It is the test of faith for us. At that time His mercy and grace hands will protect and give strength to us so we will not be disappointed and despair but we can be in the condition as follows:
- We calm. It means we are shepherded well.
- We trust and entrust our selves fully to God more until the flesh does not sound anymore.
16:27 And the keeper of the prison, awaking from sleep and seeing the prison doors open, supposing the prisoners had fled, drew his sword and was about to kill himself.
While there is an earthquake, people in this world will despair and kill themselves like the keeper of the prison. Killing oneself means making the way that is out from the Word.
- The mercy and grace hands of God will open the door that is locked and release the chain.
The meanings are as follows:
- The door of solving for all problems until the impossible ones.
- The door of ministry is open, so we are able to declare the Good News and Bride Tidings. The salvation door is opened for all household.
16:29 Then he called for a light, ran in, and fell down trembling before Paul and Silas.
16:30 And he brought them out and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"
16:31 So they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household."
16:32 Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all who were in his house.
16:33 And he took them the same hour of the night and washed their stripes. And immediately he and all his family were baptized.
16:34 Now when he had brought them into his house, he set food before them; and he rejoiced, having believed in God with all his household.
- The door of future is open until the one of perfection when Jesus comes a second time. We are worthy to greet His second coming on glorious clouds until the door of Heaven is open for us.
God blesses us.